1.28.2009

Our Long Weekend in California

Last Thursday, Sunshine and I flew out to California with my parents and sister. Technically we were headed to Sacramento for a wedding, but we took a detour and headed to San Francisco for a few hours of sight-seeing. Despite spending my early years in Sacramento, I have no memories of any trips to San Fran. My parents claim they took me as a baby, but where's the proof?

Overall, the trip was great. Traveling with a one year old isn't exactly the best thing ever (and keeping her whole milk chilled was always a concern of mine) but Sunshine did spectacularly. By the way, flying with your baby in her OWN SEAT on the plane is a billion times better than holding her on your lap. In case you happen to be waffling over that decision.

In a whirlwind we hit the most touristy sites: Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, and the Golden Gate Bridge. We also had a chance to stop by the Oakland Temple, which is where my parents were married about a hundred years ago. We got sourdough bread from Boudin's which was to die for, and loaded up on chocolate for those poor saps back home. (Such as hubby!) There was a little (expensive) boutique called Lola (www.lolaofnorthbeach.com) inside of Ghirardelli Square. It was primarily baby related items and I loved every single thing inside. I purchased a picture book by Virginia Lee Burton, who wrote one of my favorite childhood stories, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel. This one was titled Maybelle the Cable Car. I bought it for Miss Fancy, and I can't wait to read it with her.


One highlight that Lisa and I went crazy over was this antique arcade called the Musee Mecanique. It had hundreds of working arcade-like games, some over one hundred years old. We collect smashed pennies and it had probably had half a dozen penny smashers. I think Lisa ended up getting one of each but I reigned it in and got two. It probably sounds lame, but in a retro sort of way was really cool.


Some other great parts of the trip: visiting with my favorite aunt (and I'm not just saying that because she surprised me with a subscription to an awesome cooking site!), seeing the HGTV Dream House, even though it charged $20 a ticket to tour inside which we didn't do, shopping at Carter's for Sunshine, and of course, the wedding. My favorite photo of the trip actually came from the wedding. I don't have very many pictures of Sunshine and I together, and I have even less pictures that turn out well of both of us.

All in all, it was fun to have a long weekend, and fun to see some new things. I missed Hubby a lot though, and I'm excited to see the kids tonight. Oh, and since I know my mom will read this sooner or later, thanks for the trip! Sunshine and I definitely appreciated it. I wonder if this blog will suffice as proof that she did indeed go to San Francisco when she was a baby?

No comments: