1.07.2009

"I Think I Messed Up My Hand"

Last night, as I was walking out to my car to drive my sister home, my husband spoke those fateful words--"I think I messed up my hand." This was said standing next to a running snowblower. See where I'm going with this? He pulled his glove off and we examined his hand. It looked, well, funny. The snowblower was jammed so he stopped it and stuck his hand down the chute. Turns out the snowblower keeps going for about 30 seconds after you stop it. Thankfully, all fingers were still attached. The disaster, while serious, wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. We made the decision to splint it and I left to take my sister home. He called me 10 minutes later to say he decided to take it in to the clinic. I told him I'd meet him there. After a very long wait with a bored and tired baby, we finally got his hand X-rayed. I'm sorry friends, but I must share this picture with you. It's actually a very awesome break.



See the bend in the middle finger? Poor guy was in so much pain. We're standing next to the X-ray lightbox (I hope they have a cool name for that), taking pictures of the X-ray and joking around when the doctor comes in. First words? Hand surgeon. Not so funny anymore! He won't need surgery but according to the doctor, the surgeon will stick a needle in at the break (ow!) to numb it and then, and I'm not joking about this, CRANK IT FLAT. There are no words to describe how painful this sounds. Then the surgeon will be able to set it so it heals properly. I doubt Gary will let me, but I'm really hoping he'll let me come. It sounds interesting, in a gruesome sort of way. That is supposed to happen sometime today. Isn't it funny how just a handful (pun intended) of words can change your entire night?

I just found out that I can watch the new episode of Scrubs online and since my Tivo was also broken last night, I'm going to go sink myself into the fantastical world of Zach Braff and friends.

No comments: